N170BW - 1943 Boeing PT-17 Stearman
Flight lessons in Boeing PT-17 Stearman in Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Suffolk, Hampton and Newport News.
Biplane skydiving available in on the Mid-Eastern U.S. Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina.
Stearman check out and flight lessons available in the Hampton Roads, VA area.
The Stearman (Boeing) Model 75 is a biplane formerly used as a military trainer aircraft, of which at least 10,626 were built in the United States during the 1930s and 1940s. Stearman Aircraft became a subsidiary of Boeing in 1934. Widely known as the Stearman, Boeing Stearman or Kaydet, it served as a primary trainer for the United States Army Air Forces, the United States Navy (as the NS and N2S), and with the Royal Canadian Air Force as the Kaydet throughout World War II. After the conflict was over, thousands of surplus aircraft were sold on the civilian market. In the immediate postwar years they became popular as crop dusters, sports planes, and for aerobatic and wing walking use in air shows.
N170BW is a 1943 Boeing PT-17 recovered from a life of crop-dusting in El Salvador in 1991. Restored in the early 90's, N170BW has been updated to include an electrical system, electric starter, radio and modern brakes. In early 2019, the Continental W-670 and McCauley propeller were replaced with a new Jacobs 275hp R-755 and Hamilton Standard 2B20 constant speed propeller. Whether your are going to fly at 220hp stock Stearman or a 450hp fire breathing show bird, N170BW will be a great training platform to get you ready.
- Crew: 2
- Length: 24 ft 9 in (7.54 m)
- Wingspan: 32 ft 2 in (9.80 m)
- Height: 9 ft 8 in (2.95 m)
- Wing area: 27.7 sq ft (2.57 m2)
- Empty weight: 1,931 lb (876 kg)
- Max takeoff weight: 2,635 lb (1,195 kg)
- Fuel capacity: 46 US gal (38 imp gal; 170 l)
- Powerplant: 1 × Jacobs R-755 7-cylinder air-cooled radial piston engine, 275 hp
- Propellers: Hamilton Standard 2B20 constant speed propeller
- Maximum speed: 124 mph (200 km/h, 108 kn)
- Cruise speed: 96 mph (154 km/h, 83 kn)
- Service ceiling: 13,200 ft (4,000 m)
- Time to altitude: 10,000 ft (3,000 m) in 17 minutes 18 seconds
- Wing loading: 8.84 lb/sq ft (43.2 kg/m2)
Boeing-Stearman Model 75. (2019, September 1th). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 17:25, September 5, 2019, from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing-Stearman_Model_75
Type Certificate Data Sheet (TCDS) - A-743